Thanks to the generous donation from airdrop, I procured a copy of a new VW commercial from Europe. At first I was a little worried I’d be preempting some sort of American ad campaign, but then I watched it a number of times and am thoroughly convinced that it would never work here.
Here are some blaring Euroisms I found:
- Check out the Euro stylings on the lanky guy.. the hair, the suit, the turtleneck
- No one in the commercial utters a word. Can you say “entire European market?”
- What old man in America drinks tea?
- The cast of tiny people is ridiculously interracial.. how much of Europe do you think they cover?
- The license plate screams of Eastern Hemisphere
- Gullivers Travels? What kind of obvious reference is that? An American audience would respond much better to a VHS copy of Honey, I shrunk the kids.
Volkswagon Commercial: Tiny people vs. giant cat